26 August 2011

Day 31


Distance Covered:  75 miles
Total Distance Covered:  6165miles

Hugh and Jeremy got up early and hitched in, leaving me behind in the baking heat, on my own, by the side of a fairly busy main road but not before Jeremy managed to rip the freshly repaired pipe cot getting out of bed! With a list of chores I set about putting the beds away, washing up and tidying the van hoping this would take me some time thus reducing the time spent bored out of my mind waiting for the wanderers to return. However this took me no time at all so I am now writing this as I watch the traffic go by staring at me as they wiz past. Still feeling rather ropy I have been on several quests for secluded toilet spots although these are very hard to come by in Barron Kazakhstan so I had to choose between behind a tree right next to the road or in open country, still visible from the road but hopefully to far away to determine precisely what I was up to… Went for the latter in the end. Anyway, I have nothing left to document as of yet so I will have to return to this entry later on hopefully with good news.
So 4 hours later, Hugh and Jeremy returned with a mechanic and a new wheel bearing. Tucking into the humungous melon while the mechanic bashed the hub relentlessly with a large mallet, we were soon accompanied by another Team in an ambulance also with mechanical issues and a German cyclist on his way to Singapore. A short while later and after a lot of bashing we were on our way again, giving the mechanic a lift home and some gifts for him and his son we eventually made it into Almaty.
Almaty turned out to be a very green and affluent city and after stopping for some ‘plov’ on the street we did a swift shop and went on an internet quest. A Mochachino and Lapsang Souchong later we had our internet fix and went looking for a ‘hotel’ apparently to be found on the fourth floor of the Almaty agricultural college. This turned out to be  pure fiction but eventually we found a nice enough hostel just down the road. After a few drinks and a visit to ‘Vogue bar’ we eventually got to bed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment